- 2 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large fennel bulb or 2 small bulbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 14 1/2- ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 9-ounce package of frozen artichoke hearts thawed ( I have used canned that I
- drained in a pinch but frozen are better)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails off
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Lemon slices for garnish
Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
Remove the stalks from each fennel bulb and discard. Cut the bulbs in half lengthwise through the core. Remove most (but not all) of the core by cutting a V-shaped wedge, leaving the wedges intact. Slice thinly.
Add the shallots, garlic and fennel. Sauté until tender approximately 5 minutes.
Add the basil, oregano and dried red pepper. Stir 1 minute.
Add the canned diced tomatoes, the fresh diced tomatoes, the thawed artichoke hearts and lemon juice.
Simmer about 30 minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly and the artichokes are tender.
Stir the shrimp into the sauce and simmer for five minutes or until shrimp are cooked through. Do not overcook.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serve in individual bowls garnished with the basil